What I do
My experience shows that the majority of clients require a similar basic range of legal services.
I am a Louisville Kentucky lawyer who services are for start-up and serial entrepreneurs like myself. My clients are makers, some are equestrian professionals and horse people, while others skip that famed Saturday in May.
For start-up clients and it's not merely filling out the forms and setting you loose. I deeply engage with you, helping you to structure your business in a way that best suits your goals. This is particularly important for nonprofits, so that you accomplish your mission and avoid the pitfalls of an organization that holds a position of public trust. Many of those same clients, driven by their passion for making their business idea a reality, lose sight that what they start, takes them someplace. Either that business will be closed, sold, or passed on to family.
When you start something, hopefully your dismount will be voluntary, or at the very least, something you're ready for!
You can engage my services in flexible ways, including as a virtual counsel. Those services give you the advantage of having a legal officer as part of your team, without the overhead of an on-going paid employee. It is a way to deliver big business advantages to small business clients.
I am continually building the breadth and depth of the services I can offer. Having managed budgets for large companies to my own start ups, I have also not lost sight of your requirement for consistently solid legal advice that is delivered on-time and on-budget.
Practice areas include:
- business name registration
- legal advice for starting a business
- advice about business structures, including partnerships, trusts, LLCs, and corporations, and non-profits
- business licensing, navigate local and state compliance
- draft and review contracts
- buying and selling a business with fewer than 10 employees
- winding down/closing your business
- lease agreements
- estate and succession planning
- employment law such as employment contracts, employee rights, unfair dismissal and confidentiality agreements
- advice on legislative requirements, governance, and compliance
- wills with testamentary trusts and testamentary special needs trusts
- revocable trusts
- powers of attorney
- advanced health directives
- pet and equine trusts
- probate and letters of administration
- estate administration
- trust administration
I also have a trusted network of colleagues, lawyers available on referral to provide the following services.
- disability law
- environment and planning
- family law
- trademark and IP
- property title work